Saturday, 12 March 2011

I am sailing ...

Although I'm not likely to be anywhere near water in this little number, I now have a nautical themed top.  I finished my Jersey top and here are the pictures:








As I mentioned in this post I used pattern 106B in Burda magazine February 2011.   It was my first time tracing out a pattern from the daunting Burda magazine pattern sheet.  I thought it would be a long and arduous process but actually it didn't take too long.  I will definitely be making up another pattern from the magazine.   Once I took the time to figure out which pieces related to the top (and the mini diagram of the pattern pieces and the pattern instructions in the magazine are helpful on this) I went around it with  a blue felt tip pen to make tracing easier.  The pattern markings were also easy to see.  The grain line for the sleeves was marked on the pattern but the grainline is the edge of the pattern piece for the top itself.  In other words the edge that becomes the centre of the top needs to be lined up with the straight grain of the fabric.   I lengthened the sleeves and the top.

I used up the fabric I had left over from my first leggings project which was a cotton stretch Jersey.  It is an easy fabric to work with.   I couldn't see that there was a pattern piece for the neck binding in the magazine but I used the pattern piece for the neck binding from my Pendrell pattern.  I then followed Sewaholic's instructions for neck binding here but in the reverse.   Tasia at Sewaholic talks about reversing it here.

This project was not without its mishaps.  When I sewed on the neckbinding, the magazine instructions told you to use stretch stitch, which is usual for seams on stretchy fabric.  However, maybe because there was so many layers to sew through, the stitching ended up being really tight, distorting and pulling the neckline with a roping effect.  I spent ages unpicking it, which took twice as long because it was stretch stitch and so tight!  I then sewed the neckline on with normal stitching and it was fine.

The second mishap was caused by me failing to think which I have learned is necessary for sewing.    As I was cutting out where I could on scraps of fabric I ended cutting out one of the sleeves on the wrong side of the fabric so that I had two right sleeves instead of one of each.  Of course I didn't realise this until after I had sewn the sleeve seams on both and attached the right sleeve.  I then realised the pattern notches did not match up.  I (optimistically) wondered if you could sew it on the wrong way round but you can't they are too different.   As the "wrong" side is not noticeable on this fabric I unpicked the sleeve seam and sewed it back with the "wrong" side facing out.  If there had been an obvious wrong side then that would have been the end of it but luckily I was able to learn and get a top at the end of it.

I then decided to have a look for a motif to sew on and I found these cute little embroidered boats.  I was initially only going to sew on one on the right side but in the end I decided to sew on all three.  In fact they are iron on designs but I put some hand stitches on to secure it.

This is my second handmade top ever (after the Pendrell) and my first top with sleeves.  I have long arms so I love how for the first time ever I have a casual top with lovely long sleeves.

I have some fabric left over from the two other pairs of leggings I made so I am thinking about combining the fabric to make another one of these tops.

I am really pleased with the top and it is the sort of thing I am likely to wear all the time.

Happy sewing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment