Sunday, 10 April 2011

Burda Wrap Top

I have now finished my Burda wrap top.  Without further ado here are the photos:







I used a pattern from the January 2011 issue of Burda.  I downloaded the pattern from the Burdastyle website here

I used blue wool jersey so the top is nice and warm.  The fabric was all joined in a tube when I bought it so I had to cut it open.  I used a size 16 ballpoint needle.  This is the first time I have used a ballpoint needle for a jersey project and it was really effective.  I did break one needle but that was when I was using my overcast foot to finish the edges.   I have broken a lot of needles using this foot to finish the edges.

I used the same size pattern as my Burda jersey top so I thought I would be OK using the same size for this.   Wrong!  The shoulders and arm holes were huge which I didn't find out until I had sewn on the sleeves.  If I was after an 80s look with huge shoulder pads I would have been fine.   I ended up taking in the sleeves another 1.5 cm all around.   I lost the same amount at the top of the side seams, tapering into the waist.

The instructions were unfathomable in places and so I ended up winging a lot of it.  This appears to be a common complaint with Burda patterns.  I wonder whether something is getting lost in translation from German?   I would like to make the top again and it would be nice to be able to be able to follow all the instructions.

I have worn this top a lot since I made it.   I haven't found any more wool jersey to make another one but as soon as I see some I will snap it up to make another one of these tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment