Sunday, 22 May 2011

Beach Top

I have now finished my first ever t-shirty sort of thing.  Here are the photos:









With the warmer weather upon us and summer just around the corner I wanted some t-shirts to wear with my self-stitched skirts.   I was intending to use my Jersey Top pattern with the sleeves cut short.  Then I came across pattern number 102 in the May 2011 issue of Burda.



I liked the look of the top even though the pattern recommended sweatshirt material and the neck is normally lower than I like.   I wasn't really after a beach type casual top but something a bit smarter to wear with my skirts.   Anyway a beach top is what I have ended up with and it doesn't really go with my skirts.

I came a cropper with Burda sizing again.  I cut out my usual size which worked perfectly with my long-sleeved Jersey Top (also Burda).    It came out HUGE.  No, it's not the one in the photos.   There was nothing I could do with it to make it remotely wearable.  It can maybe be tossed on around the house and in the garden but that's about it.

I should have stepped away from Burda 102 at this point and reached for the Jersey Top pattern.   I am a bit stubborn - I wanted a wearable t-shirt in this pattern so I decided to try again.  This time I cut out the smallest size, size 36 (UK size 10).  I made no alterations other than lengthening it by 1 inch.   My issues with the finished garment are:

1.  It's still big.
2.  The neckline is too big.
3.  The ribbed hem band has gone funny.

I don't know what happened with the neckline.  I cut the pattern out exactly and matched up the edges but it has ended up too big and nothing like the picture.   The sleeves are like a capped sleeve with two bits sewn together.   Altering the neckline and the sleeve pieces would have involved adjustments which are beyond me at this stage in my sewing career.

This is the first time I have used ribbing.  I cut the pieces exactly as instructed and held them against me to check they were the right size.  It should have fitted snugly against my hips but something happened in the sewing.  I must have stretched it too much.  Maybe this would have worked better on sweatshirt material like the pattern recommends.

All in all I am pleased with the end result.  I feel too exposed wearing it as a top on its own so I will be layering it with a camisole as in the pictures.   Even though this is not the top I planned I am still happy with the result and I'm looking forward to wearing it on a sunny day.

Happy sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment