Monday, 2 January 2012

Mustard Petal Skirt

Happy new year everyone.  I can't believe how quickly the holidays have gone. It's back to work tomorrow and back to reality! It's likely to be Easter before I have any more time off. Yikes!

I managed to make a skirt during my Christmas holiday, my last make of 2011. Here are the pictures.









This is my second make of the Petal skirt from Papercut Patterns.   As mentioned in my post about my first make of this skirt I added a third pleat towards the side of the skirt as well as slash pockets.   This time I also made the following alterations:

1.  I shortened the skirt by around 1 to 2 inches and used my french curve to draw in the new curve.  It now finishes just above the knee.  (I made a new pattern piece so I still have the old one in tact).

2.  I took in the side of the skirt about 1 cm from the hem grading it up to just below the hip using my french curve.

3.  I re-drafted the skirt's hem facing. What am I like? I mentioned in my post about the first make of this skirt that the hem facing seemed too big when I attached it. The pattern piece for the facing was exactly the same size as the edge of the skirt. I re-traced the facing piece and then drew out a new pattern piece making the facing about 1/8 inch smaller (much like you would when drafting the underside of a Peter Pan collar). It turned out really well.

In my last make of the skirt I used a crisp fusible interfacing on the hem facing and a soft sew-in interfacing on the waistband.  I read the waistband section of my Couture Techniques book (Claire Shaeffer).  She said you should use a crisp interfacing for the waistband.  I swapped around for this skirt and used the soft sew-in interfacing on the hem and the crisp fusible one on the waistband.  I love how the hem facing came out on this one.  The soft sew-in interfacing is ideal for a hem facing.  I also like how the waistband came out and Claire Shaeffer is right.  The crisp interfacing gives it a nice structure (and would look even better if I had ironed it on better!).

The fabric is part of the lot I purchased from the retired seamstress. I don't know what it is but I'm fairly sure it's man mad as it's not particularly soft and doesn't crease (which is great). Again this colour is not something I would normally wear. In fact I don't think I have ever bought anything in this colour. I've avoided it since I read a Trinny and Susannah book about 8 years ago. I think this colour falls into a "warm" colour palette and I always thought I was a "cool"colour palette. I haven't read the book in years and after some digging I've found my copy. (It's called "What you wear can change your life"). I have briefly read the section and I think I got my colour palette wrong, or maybe I fall within both?  (Or maybe you shouldn't pay too much attention to what the so-called experts say!)

I am really pleased with how the skirt has turned out and I can't wait to start wearing it now that I've photographed it.

Happy sewing!

6 comments:

  1. This is literally my perfect skirt! My favorite colour and I've been looking for a petal skirt like this for ages! I think I may have to purchase this pattern!
    beautiful well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stevie. I did well to predict your favourite skirt and colour! I would totally recommend the pattern. It's quick and easy to make up which is great if you want to spend time making slight adjustments to the design as I did. Check out my last post for the tutorial I used to add the pleat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful- loving your blog and your methodical approach. It's great when you let others know about your changes, it's a great way of learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. It's great to hear others are learning to sew and are finding this helpful.

      Delete