Monday, 4 June 2012

Jubilee Dress

We're in the middle of the long Jubilee weekend. There's not much sewing going on yet. I've now caught up on my paperwork and the cleaning so I might start something tomorrow.

It's been fun watching some of the festivities on the TV. There've been a lot of things organised in our village - a street party on the green and a firework display later. Seeing all the flags everywhere, the bunting, the children dressing in red, white and blue reminded me of the Queen's silver jubilee in 1977.  

I then remembered there's a photo of me from the silver jubilee celebrations at school. I was wearing a red, white and blue sash made by my mum.  What's more the dress I was wearing was made by my mum! After some digging I managed to find it:





It's not hard to guess which one is me if you know that I'm tall! My older brother is in the back row in the middle with the dark shiny hair and I look taller than him. My little brother is in the front (I still call him my little brother which some people think is funny).

The thing I remember about that day is how hot I was in that long sleeved dress. It was made for me for Christmas but it was the only red, white and blue dress I had. The boy next to me is holding up a Jubilee coin which all the children were given as a memento. I still have mine.

Happy days! 

I hope you're having a good week so far!



8 comments:

  1. Awww, look how cute you are in that photo! Hope you enjoy the rest of your long weekend (and the Jubilee celebrations)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gingermakes! The long weekend's been great fun.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun time! It's hard for me to imagine what the celebration is like because we don't have anything too similar in the US. Maybe independence day (when we all dress in red, white, and blue too!) in July?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think Independence Day might be similar although it's difficult to compare because the Jubilees don't happen often. The last one was 10 years ago for the Golden Jubilee. I think it depends where you're live as well. I'm now living in a large village where they're are a lot of kids so they organise lots of stuff so more conscious of it all!

      Delete
  3. HI there Katy! Just found your blog, you seem very similar to me and my plans with sewing! I'm very happy to be your new follower. Can't wait to see what else you make.

    Lonsdale Dress is next for me too :D

    I blog over at http://www.bundana.blogspot.co.uk

    Speak soon!

    Caff x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caffy! Thanks for stopping by and for giving me a new blog to follow. The Lonsdale is the best (as you can tell from me making two). I can't wait to see what you do with it!

      Delete
  4. I'm catching up , so sorry this is a bit late, but I skipped across from ypur comment on my blog ;-)
    I had to comment as I also remember 1977 & having a jubilee coin - I am not sure where it is now though. I can't remember what red white & blue I wore, but you can bet it was made by my Mum too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the dear Jubilee coin. The funny thing about the coin in the photo is that I didn't realise he was holding the coin until now. I always thought he was holding a flask!

      Delete