Friday, 13 July 2012

I'll Wear These A Lot ...


I've finished a couple of Burda magazine tops. First here are the pictures.



















I realised I hadn't made any tops in a while. I made the Renfrew of course but that's more of a casual top. I was avoiding my Colette Violet so I thought I would get back in the swing of things with something straightforward. I also realised that I was wearing this top a lot for work so I thought I would make it again. It's number 113 from April 2011 Burda magazine. Here's the pattern picture:





Let me tell you that a couple of years' sewing experience does not make Burda pattern instructions any easier to follow. I'd forgotten that this bonkers pattern has a facing and bias binding. I ended up putting the binding on as I would normally do it and ignoring the instructions. I love the fabric for the top, partly because it is the perfect drape. I think it's important with tops to get a fabric with a lot of drape so it doesn't end up being on the stiff side. The white fabric is actually thicker than the blue fabric and so it came out slightly differently once the bias binding was on. I probably didn't need the facing on the thicker fabric. I didn't really need the facings on the other one either, but I ended up going with it because I like the extra body it gives where the bias binding is. I didn't interface my facing pieces because I wanted to keep the drapey feel.

I made these tops mainly to wear for work. I'm modelling this with a wool skirt I bought from Hobbs recently for work. I love the skirt and I'm seriously tempted to try and trace out a pattern to make one myself. I meant to take a photo of the back of the skirt.  Instead of a vent there's a square of fabric flared out on either side - like a godet.

Anyway I'm working on my picnic blanket skirt at the moment. I've given up with hoping for any decent weather. Apart from one day when I wore my French Riviera dress and another when I wore my Cambie dress,  I haven't been able to wear any of the summer clothes I've made. After my picnic blanket skirt I've decided to forget about summer clothes and start my Minoru jacket! I'm really looking forward to it - I've bought the zips and everything.

I've also started knitting a top which I'm really excited about. I'm using some slightly dodgy wool that my chap got me from an auction together with a 1980s pattern. The Cyberseams videos on You Tube are great for learning to knit properly.  I spent an evening knitting along with all the videos and my skills and confidence have improved immensely.

Happy sewing and knitting everyone.



6 comments:

  1. Oh I really love these tops! They're just so simple and elegant. I'd love to make something like this. It seems so versatile.
    Exciting to hear about your knitting. I'm going to check out cyberseams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! If you can get hold of the pattern do try it - it's not on the Burdastyle site though. It's so easy to make as well although the binding in three places is fiddly and takes as long as the rest of the top! I think simple is very often is the way to go. I should bear this in mind more often!

      Delete
  2. These are so cute! I love the pleats in the front. I'm looking forward to seeing your Minoru! I guess if the weather's so crummy, you might as well make something you can actually wear and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ginger! That was my thinking exactly. Scruffy Badger did a post recently where she spoke about whether you'll wear something for more than 5 months a year. All my summer clothes would fail on this basis! Although a jacket will take longer to make, it may be something that gets worn a lot!

      Delete
  3. These tops are so cute. They're beautiful on you! I have yet to tackle a Burda pattern, but I have the Burda Style Handbook so I'm hoping that will be a good start.

    Have fun with your knitting!!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done that many Burda patterns - the tracing and adding seam allowances puts me off. When you get past that the patterns are really good. You also really need to ignore the way the clothes look on the models in the magazine - which is mostly awful. I have the Burda book as well - I have my eye on the skirt and the dress.

      Delete